Let's talk movies for a moment. 2007 had a few good ones, but plenty of crap not worthy seeing, too. Incidentally, Sweeney Todd was excellent. If you can stomach the copious amount of bright red blood.
Movies I'm looking forward to in 2008:
- Cloverfield (January) - This could be good or bad. They're taking a chance going the Blair Witch Project angle with its handycam-style storytelling, but I'm hoping the monster(s) in this movie get enough real screen time to differentiate it.
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (February) - I simply have a weak spot for fantasy films, and faeries are always intriguing. Another children's-book-to-film adaptation. Plus, artist who illustrated these books is Tony DiTerlizzi, the guy whose work depicted the old D&D Planescape setting. Props to him.
- The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (May) - It's not the best of Lewis's 7-book series, but it's still got some neat elements and the trailers for this movie look great.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (May) - What a title. I can't wait for this movie. All the talk of "Harrison Ford is too old" is nonsense. So he's an older Dr. Jones. So what? The pulp action style of the Indiana Jones saga doesn't have enough presence these days, so I welcome some kind of revival, even if it's temporary.
- The Happening (June) - Really, I'll see anything M. Night Shamaylan puts out. His movies aren't all created equal. Unbreakable and Signs were the best, but I really liked The Sixth Sense and The Lady In the Water. The Village, if not as good as the rest, was still well-acted and visually intriguing.
- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (August) - I like the Mummy movies; they're not as good as their inspiration (Indiana Jones), but they're the closest thing to it. And these are the only movies I like Brendan Fraser in. But this one might suffer for losing Rachel Weisz; when they swap out actors for a role, it's seldom good.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (November) - Just for the sake of continuance. I enjoyed the books, and the movies aren't half-bad.
What am I missing? What are you looking forward to or dreading?