So it's 2008 now, and I think it's going to be a many-headed hydra*, but not all those heads will be spewing fire. Some will be friendly and fruitful. Here's what 2008 will bring in my universe. What the rest of the planet will experience, I can only wait. *I definitely won't quit with the metaphors this year.
- My first novel, The Darkwood Mask, comes out in March. And check it out, the Random House released the cover on the book page. It's....amazing. Michael Komarck didn't disappoint in the slightest. The guy's a genius.
- Begin my next writing project. Immediately. Which is great. But I can't talk about it just yet. More importantly, I intend to use this year to establish a writing regime. When writing The Darkwood Mask (for which I was given a generous deadline), I was all over the place; writing when I could find the time and that's all. No routine. I won't let it be that way this year. And I will carry around my master files for this next endeavor on the 2-gig USB flash drive below (the one on the right). There's some oddly antiquated about that, I know, like some throwback to typed manuscripts of yesteryear. But I rather like it.
- Get myself into better physical shape. Seriously, I need to get moving again. I'm giving myself until GenCon (9 months) to really get to the point where I feel good and healthy. I'll be damned if I go into my early 30s feeling less than optimal. I'm not thinking of this as a New Year's resolution so much as hitting the RESET button. It's easier to attach the "starting over" notion with a momentous date like the beginning of the year.
- Watching with interest what Josh Wentz is cooking up over at Sidedown. He's going back into full, self-employed mode and intends to revamp his site and his business (Sidedown.com). The Sidedown Monograph #2 had some teasers about this.
- Watching with interest what my brother's new business, Very Us Artists, cooks up. 2008 both begins and ends with VUA in full swing. Right now they've got out a prototype album and a first full-fledged album. The next one, The Future Is Now, will be out in February.
- Get my wife to start contributing to this website with posts of her own. We'll see what happens.
What's your 2008 intentions? Anything on the horizon? Talk to me!